In indoor growing, the challenge is to recreate the conditions essential to the good germination or cuttings of the plant. In addition to the technique, there are also equipment, greenhouses, heating tablecloth , substrates for cuttings, fertilizers for cuttings ... There are 2 techniques to grow plants :
Second, what is germination?
The germination phase of a plant begins at the exit of the first root and terminates during the formation of the second leaf stage of the seedling. The plant then enters the vegetative phase .
The different germination methods of a seed are not very complex and require little attention, given the sometimes dazzling result. The simple fact of placing the seed for 24 to 48 hours in the refrigerator's vegetable tray makes it possible to simulate a winter environment (it is also an excellent way to keep the seeds at a stable temperature in a box of film photos for example).
Then, for germination, it is necessary to recreate spring, humid and warm conditions (around 70% hygrometry and 27 ° C). The evolution of the first root will be all the more intense if you simulate the seasons.
* TO KNOW: The ideal pH of water for germination is 5.8 - sprouted seed glass technique.
Take a plate and place a double layer of absorbent paper (the cotton is too stringy) moistened with water at pH 5.8. Place the seed and cover it with another double layer of paper, re-moisten. Cover with a plate.
Place the seed in a glass of water at pH 5.8 and remove it immediately as it flows, to prevent seed rot after opening. You should see the first root of the sprout plant.
- In soil, place the seed in a small plastic jar (7 x 7 cm or less) about 1/2 centimeter from the surface, sprinkle with soil, pack without crushing and spray morning and evening until two first leaves (the cotyledons). Then water as soon as necessary, only after the leaves appear to avoid asphyxiation or the movement of the seed at the bottom of the pot.
- In rock wool, decontaminate the block in water at pH 5.5 for 24 hours and then place the seed in the block. Spray the cube morning and evening with water pH 5.8 so as to moisten it (without wetting it) until the first leaves appear. Once the block is filled with roots, repot the plant immediately (the roots being photosensitive) in the selected substrate, without removing the rock wool.
In any case, the ideal way to carry out germination is to have a greenhouse or other system (reusable in the context of cutting) to guarantee optimum hygrometry and temperature for your seedlings. This is why greenhouse aeration must be closed during the first days of germination and then gradually opened the following days, with planting very sensitive to sudden climate change.
You can also stimulate the first roots (germination phase) with root stimulators . Once your plant is growing, you can add growth fertilizer.
Warning ! Do not forget to make water drain holes at the bottom of the pot for water to drain. This will prevent the flies from rotting or rotting your roots.
First, what is cuttings?
The principle of cuttings is to create, from the stem of a plant, another plant of the same genetic code, with the same characteristics (structure, production and taste) as the initial plant, called mother plant. In other words, propagation is a vegetative propagation of certain plants, which consists in giving birth to a new individual (individual child of the mother plant) from an organ or an isolated organ fragment (piece branch, leaf, root, stem, bulb scale). This technique is a form of cloning: the cut is genetically identical to the mother plant. Cuttings are carried out by cell dedifferentiation at the level of the meristem.
How do you get your first cut?
As an indoor gardener, this technique will allow you to have no unpleasant surprises as your next cuttings will come from your favorite plant. The cuttings or cloning a plant demands attention and some essential accessories for a successful first cutting ( greenhouse , knife sterilized or cutter, bouturette aeroponics , hormones for cuttings ...).
Easy removal with a scalpel
1. Prepare a glass of water pH 5.5. Locate the cuttings of the plant: Straight branches 8 to 12 cm long whose stem is neither too thin nor too wide, so that it can stand straight. This will allow it not to spend too much energy to keep its external structure alive. Using a scalpel or a sterilized cutter, cut the chosen stem (preferably below a knot).
2. Immediately place it in the glass of water, to prevent the risk of seeping an air bubble into the cut which would be fatal (embolism).
3. Once the cuttings have been removed, separate from all the leaves of the stem except those of the top (2/3 leaves) which must be cut in half (so that the cut can sweat, sweat as little as possible). Leave the stems to stand in the dark for 6 to 12 hours (step not to be done in the context of the cutting in aeroponics).
Activate with cuttings hormone
To increase your chances of succeeding your cuttings, fill a small container of cuttings hormones (not directly into the bottle of cuttings hormones to avoid bacterial growth from one cut to another) and apply the hormones on 1 to 2 cm at the bottom of the stem. Shorten the stem by half a centimeter (also bevel).
4. Place the cuttings in the selected substrate (rock wool or soil) and moisten them in a closed greenhouse (ideal temperature 18-23 ° C). Cuttings should receive light 18 hours a day. A compact fluo or neon lamp placed at least 40 cm is ideal. Spray the hood of the greenhouse, substrate and cuttings with water at pH 5.8 to 6 morning and evening.
5. Be careful not to leave puddles in the greenhouse to prevent mildew.
After 5 to 6 days, begin to open the vents of the greenhouse: one half aeration each day. To accelerate rooting, add a root stimulator to the water (always at pH 5.8 to 6) and then spray.
Once the vents are fully opened, open the hood of the greenhouse, ventilate gradually and continue spraying.
The next day, remove the hood permanently and water if necessary (without spraying to avoid the effect "loupe", always with the same solution.
Cutting took if, after 3 to 4 weeks, new shoots can be seen in the eyes.
Once the substrate is filled with roots ( earthen jars filled or rock wool allowing the roots to glimpse), transplant, transplant into the culture substrate (clay beads, earth, rock wool) chosen.Never leave the terminal bud of the branch so that when the vegetation begins it is the root formation that is preferred and not that of the stem. Cut each branch as soon as the 3rd bud appears.
It is recommended to decontaminate the blocks in pH 5.5 for 24 hours before starting the first stages of the cuttings.
Our products for Cuttings.